A land free from destruction, plus wealth, natural resources, and labor supply-all these were important 1 in helping England to become the center for the Industrial Revolution. 2 they were not enough.
Something 3 was needed to start the industrial process. That "something special" was man 4 individuals who could invent machines, find new 5 of power, and establish business organizations to reshape society.
The men who 6 the machines of the Industrial Revolution 7 from many backgrounds and many occupations. Many of them were 8 inventors than scientists. A man who is a 9 scientist is primarily interested in doing his research 10 . He is not necessarily working 11 that his finding can be used.
An inventor or one interested in applied science is 12 trying to make something that has a concrete 13 . He may try to solve a problem by using the theories 14 science or by experimenting through trial and error. Regardless of his method, he is working to obtain a 15 result; the construction of a harvesting machine, the burning of a light bulb, or one of many other objectives.
Most of the people who developed the machines of the Industrial Revolution were inventors, not trained scientists. A few were both scientists and inventors. Even those who had little or no training in science might not have made their inventions if a groundwork had not been laid by scientists years before.
1. A. cases B. reasons C. factors D. situations
2. A. But B. And C. Besides D. Even
3. A. else B. near C. extra D. similar
4. A. generating B. effective C. motivation D. creative
5. A. origins B. sources C. bases D. discoveries
6. A. employed B. created C. operated D. controlled
7. A. came B. arrived C. stemmed D. appeared
8. A. less B. better C. more D. worse
9. A. genuine B. practical C. pure D. clever
10. A. happily B. occationally C. reluctantly D. accurately
11. A. now B. and C. all D. so
12. A. seldom B. sometimes C. usually D. never
13. A. plan B. use C. idea D. means
14. A. of B. with C. to D. as
15. A. single B. sole C. specialized D. specific
答案：1-5 CAADB 6-10 BACCD 11-15 DDBAD